Towns and Villages

This website uses cookies in order to function correctly

Learn more

Close notice


Penrith castle

Penrith is about 3 miles outside the Lake District National Park boundaries, located at the Junction of the M6 motorway and the A66, one of the major routes into the North Lakes. The town's railway station is on the West Coast Main Line, and the nearest station to Keswick. Geographically Penrith is in the Eden Valley which ranges from Kirkby Stephen in the South to Carlisle in the North.

It is a market town, having a good range of smaller shops and supermarkets. The ruins of Penrith Castle (C14th-C16th) can be seen adjacent to the railway station. St Andrew's Church in the town centre dates from 1720, and was built onto a much earlier (C13th) tower. Many buildings are constructed using the locally quarried red sandstone.

 

Penrith images on Flickr: